UNLIKE Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs, our first week of the 2018 AFL season was an enjoyable one.
Our resident tipster and AFL nut, Nathan Marotta, had a week to remember with his four match previews, nailing 11 correct margins and disposal tips across the weekend.
BettingSite.com.au reviewed the Thursday night clash between Richmond and Carlton, the Friday night game between Essendon and Adelaide, the Saturday night debacle between Hawthorn and the Magpies and finished things off with an MCG blockbuster on Sunday between Melbourne and Geelong.
If you followed us across the weekend, you would have walked away with a nice bank to take into round 2 and beyond.
Let’s take a look at how the weekend unfolded.
Richmond vs. Carlton winning tips
Much like the Blues and Tigers, we opened the season with a bang, nailing four correct tips from our six recommendations in Richmond’s 17.19 (121) to 15.5 (95) win.
- Carlton showed a trend towards being a higher-scoring outfit over pre-season. With that in mind, the OVER 180.5 for total match points looked value. The $1.90 saluted with heaps of time to spare with total score of 196.
- With Carlton’s running defenders out injured, we looked to the veteran Kade Simpson to rack up the touches – he was paying $5 to get 30 or more. Simpson delivered with 34 disposals, returning a very nice profit.
- To cap things off, we nailed the Richmond victory at $1.16 and the Tigers at 25+ for $1.67.
Essendon vs. Adelaide winning tips
Essendon got home in a thriller on Friday night, 14.15 (95) to 12.15 (87), launching its campaign to return to finals with a win over last year’s runners up, Adelaide.
- We told you that new Crow Bryce Gibbs was a monty to get 25 disposals or more at $1.30 and the multi filler came good.
- In the bet of the week, in the event of a Bombers win, we tipped the home side to get the job donebetween 10-19 points at $8.50 with Sportsbet. Essendon went on to win by 12 points. Thank you very much.
Hawthorn vs. Collingwood winning tips
All of Collingwood’s 2017 miseries seemed to follow the club into the new season on Saturday night in a bitter loss to the impressive Hawks, 15.11 (101) to 9.13 (67).
- Having tipped the Magpies to win, we were as disappointed as anyone, but did get a decent return from Steele Sidebottom, who saved our blushes, returning $2.20 for gathering more than 30 disposals.
Melbourne vs. Geelong winning tips
A simple, incredible, horrible, missed set shot from 20 metres out, directly in-front from Max Gawn cost the Demons in their thrilling loss to Geelong, 13.16 (94) to 14.13 (97).
While we were on the Demons to win and were cursing Max Gawn, we did still walk away with three profitable bets.
- On a sunny day at the MCG, the total score line of 180.5 was always in trouble and despite inaccurate kicking, the two sides still reached 191, returning $1.90.
- We told you that Joel Selwood would have a day out with 30+ disposals at $2.75 as the Dees focused their efforts on Gary Ablett Jr and the Cats captain did not disappoint, returning a whopping 39 touches.
- And, to cap things off – in the event of a Geelong victory, we said it would be close, between 1-24, paying $3.50 at Sportsbet. Not a bad way to finish the weekend.
Best team bets and smokeys for the 2018 Brownlow Medal
Max Gawn AFL prelim final goal-scoring odds – West Coast vs. Melbourne
Jordan de Goey goal-scoring tips – Tigers vs. Magpies prelim odds
2018 AFL premiership race down to four as Victorian giants face off
Sidebottom & Williams disposal bets – Magpies vs. Giants semi tips
Mitchell & Oliver disposals tips – Hawks vs. Demons semi final betting
Stephenson goal-scoring bets – Eagles vs. Magpies qualifying final
Heeney & Coniglio disposal tips – Sydney vs. GWS elimination final