The West Coast Eagles are the powerhouse club of Western Australia.
Since joining the competition in 1987, the Eagles have won four AFL Premierships from six Grand Final appearances and fielded some of the greatest players in the modern history of the game.
West Coast head into 2019 as reigning champions after coming from behind to pip Collingwood in an epic grand final. The question is: can they do it again?
About the West Coast Eagles
|Home ground:||Optus Stadium|
|Premierships:||4 – 1992, 1994, 2006, 2018|
|2018 ladder finish:||2nd|
Best bookmakers to bet on the West Coast Eagles
Updated West Coast Eagles futures betting
|2019 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$7||$1.15||$1.60||A Gaff $26||–||J Kennedy $5.50|
|Feb||$7||$1.20||$1.80||A Gaff $23||J Brander $41||J Kennedy $5|
|Mar||$7.50||$1.25||$1.90||A Gaff $26||J Brander $41||J Kennedy $4.50|
|Apr||$4.50||$1.02||$1.18||A Gaff $13||O Allen $34||J Kennedy $6|
|May||$8||$1.15||$2.25||A Gaff $21||J Petruccelle $26||J Kennedy $10|
|Jun||$6.50||$1.01||$1.40||A Gaff $26||J Petruccelle $51||J Kennedy $21|
|Jul||$6.50||SUS||$1.33||A Gaff $51||J Petruccelle $51||J Kennedy $17|
|Aug||$4.20||SUS||$1.06||L Shuey $41||J Cameron $67||J Darling $151|
Best West Coast Eagles bets for the 2019 AFL season
Where are the best Eagles bets in the AFL futures markets that matter?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- It wasn’t until the prelims that pundits on the other side of the Nullabor rated West Coast a real chance of winning the 2018 AFL Grand Final. Now that they’ve conquered all comers, there is no hope of the Eagles flying under the radar this time around. With some big names back on the park – Andrew Gaff and Nic Naitanui both missed the GF win – the reigning premiers cannot be ignored.
- The Eagles finished second en route to the 2018 flag and look a very good chance to clinch another top-four finish this year. The move from quirky Subiaco to the broad expanses of Perth Stadium has had a big effect on their play away from home, especially in Melbourne, so there are no excuses.
- The Eagles have a few promising candidates in the outright betting for the Brownlow Medal. Luke Shuey was immense in the finals last year, while West Coast’s run to the big dance means Andrew Gaff has only two weeks left to serve on his suspension. Our pick is Elliot Yeo, who should poll better this year after raising his profile considerably in 2018.
- As you might expect for a team fresh off a flag, there are no outstanding prospects for the AFL Rising Star at West Coast this year. Jarrod Brander, who went goalless in his one senior game last year, might be the pick of them.
- Eagles full forward Josh Kennedy is a perpetual favourite in the Coleman Medal betting markets. If he stays fit and plays deep forward, it is hard to see anyone beating him. Jack Darling also rates a mention after a career-best haul of 48 goals last year.
West Coast Eagles 2019 AFL fixture
|1||Brisbane Lions||The Gabba||Saturday, March 23||7:20pm AEST|
|2||GWS Giants||Optus Stadium||Saturday, March 30||5:10pm AWST|
|3||Collingwood Magpies||MCG||Saturday, April 6||7:25pm AEST|
|4||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Saturday, April 13||6:10pm AWST|
|5||Port Adelaide Power||Optus Stadium||Friday, April 19||6:10pm AWST|
|6||Geelong Cats||GMHBA Stadium||Sunday, April 28||4:40pm AEST|
|7||Gold Coast Suns||Optus Stadium||Saturday, May 4||6:10pm AWST|
|8||St Kilda Saints||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, May 11||7:25pm AEST|
|9||Melbourne Demons||Optus Stadium||Friday, May 17||6:10pm AWST|
|10||Adelaide Crows||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, May 25||4:05pm ACST|
|11||Western Bulldogs||Optus Stadium||Sunday, June 2||3:20pm AWST|
|12||Sydney Swans||SCG||Sunday, June 9||3:20pm AEST|
|14||Essendon Bombers||Optus Stadium||Thursday, June 20||6:10pm AWST|
|15||Hawthorn Hawks||MCG||Saturday, June 29||1:45pm AEST|
|16||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Saturday, July 6||6:10pm AWST|
|17||Collingwood Magpies||Optus Stadium||Friday, July 12||6:10pm AWST|
|18||Melbourne Demons||Traeger Park||Sunday, July 21||2:10pm ACST|
|19||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Optus Stadium||Saturday, July 27||2:35pm AWST|
|20||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, August 4||3:20pm AEST|
|21||Adelaide Crows||Optus Stadium||Sunday, August 11||2:40pm AWST|
|22||Richmond Tigers||MCG||Sunday, August 18||1:10pm AEST|
|23||Hawthorn Hawks||Optus Stadium||TBA||TBA|
West Coast players to watch in 2019
Yeo graduated from the half-back flank to the midfield proper in 2018 and had an immediate impact, recording career-high averages for disposals, clearances, tackles, inside 50s and goal assists. Expect him to receive a lot more attention from both the opposition and the umpires this year.
The West Coast captain is the kind of footballer you can set your watch to, so he normally would not appear on this sort of list. However, the recent rule changes have made kick-out specialists more valuable than ever – especially in fantasy teams – and Hurn’s right boot is among the best in the competition.
The 2018 season was a roller coaster for Gaff, who played some of his best footy and then sat out the last two months of the season after knocking out Fremantle’s Andrew Brayshaw. The star wingman missed out on a premiership medal and, after turning down a stack of trade offers, will be eager to rectify that issue.
West Coast Eagles records
Most matches: Dean Cox – 290 (2001-2014)
Most goals kicked in one match: Scott Cummings – 14 (vs. Adelaide, 2000)
Most Best & Fairest awards: Ben Cousins, Glen Jakovich – 4
Most goals in a season: Peter Sumich – 111 (1991)
Most career goals: Josh Kennedy – 551
Latest AFL news
Collingwood vs Essendon betting tips, odds and predictions
Can the Pies keep their top four hopes alive with a win over the Bombers at the MCG?
Fremantle coach betting – Who will replace Ross Lyon in 2020?
A former West Coast star looms as the favourite to take the reins at the Dockers next year.
AFL Round 23 odds and premiership betting update
Home finals and double chances are on the line in the last round of the AFL home-and-away season.
2019 AFL Round 22 betting tips – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs
Can the Western Bulldogs take another scalp this week when they face the GWS Giants?
2019 AFL Round 22 betting preview – Brisbane vs Geelong
Can the Lions beat the Cats at the Gabba to go top of the AFL ladder?