These are interesting times for the Brisbane Lions.
Chris Fagan’s men finished fourth from bottom in 2018, but a closer look at their record shows significant improvement across the board.
Can the Lions move up again in 2019 and set the stage for a finals charge in the not-too-distant future?
About the Brisbane Lions
|Home ground:||The GABBA|
|Premierships:||3 – 2001, 2002, 2003|
|2018 ladder finish:||15th|
Best bookmakers to bet on the Brisbane Lions
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated Brisbane Lions futures betting
|2019 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$67||$3.50||$12||–||–||E Hipwood $51|
|Feb||$67||$3.25||$12||L Neale $51||E Smith $41||E Hipwood $51|
|Mar||$67||$3||$10||L Neale $34||E Smith $41||E Hipwood $51|
|Apr||$26||$1.65||$4.50||L Neale $4.50||E Smith $51||E Hipwood $26|
Best Brisbane Lions bets for the 2019 AFL season
Where are the best Brisbane bets in the AFL futures markets for 2019?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- Stop it. Don’t even look in this section. We can’t believe you clicked this tab open. If you can find somewhere in the vicinity of $5,000 for the Lions to pinch a flag, have a go, but in the interim, perhaps hold on to your money when it comes to premiership betting.
- Top honours are out of the question, but there is no doubt the Lions are a team on the up. Their young players are coming on nicely and Lachie Neale’s inclusion more than offsets the departure Dayne Beams. They will need a lot of things to go their way, however, so maybe give it another year before you start backing Brisbane to make a dent in September.
- Lachie Neale polled plenty of votes during his time at Fremantle and looks the best bet to top the Brisbane count in this year’s Brownlow Medal. Club captain Dayne Zorko is another one to consider.
- Brisbane’s youngsters have featured heavily at the top end of Rising Star betting in recent years, but the Lions lack a standout candidate on this occasion. Ely Smith, the 21st pick in last year’s draft, is rated an outside chance.
- Eric Hipwood won Brisbane’s goalkicking trophy last year with 37 majors. He might need to double that tally to figure in the race for the Coleman Medal. Don’t bother looking for another option in the Lions camp – there isn’t one.
Brisbane Lions 2019 AFL fixture
|1||West Coast Eagles||The Gabba||Saturday, March 23||7:20pm AEST|
|2||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, March 31||1:10pm AEDT|
|3||Port Adelaide Power||The Gabba||Saturday, April 6||6:25pm AEST|
|4||Essendon Bombers||MCG||Saturday, April 13||2:10pm AEST|
|5||Collingwood Magpies||Gabba||Thursday, April 18||7:35pm AEST|
|6||Gold Coast Suns||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, April 27||1:45pm AEST|
|7||Sydney Swans||The Gabba||Saturday, May 4||4:35pm AEST|
|8||Western Bulldogs||Mars Stadium||Saturday, May 11||1:45pm AEST|
|9||Adelaide Crows||The Gabba||Saturday, May 18||2:10pm AEST|
|10||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Sunday, May 26||3:20pm AWST|
|11||Hawthorn Hawks||The Gabba||Saturday, June 1||7:25pm AEST|
|12||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, June 8||1:45pm AEST|
|14||St Kilda Saints||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, June 22||4:35pm AEST|
|15||Melbourne Demons||The Gabba||Sunday, June 30||3:20pm AEST|
|16||GWS Giants||Sydney Showground||Sunday, July 7||4:40pm AEST|
|17||Port Adelaide Power||Adelaide Oval||Sunday, July 14||4:10pm ACST|
|18||North Melbourne Kangaroos||The Gabba||Saturday, July 20||7:25pm AEST|
|19||Hawthorn Hawks||UTAS Stadium||Saturday, July 27||1:45pm AEST|
|20||Western Bulldogs||The Gabba||Sunday, August 4||4:40pm AEST|
|21||Gold Coast Suns||The Gabba||Saturday, August 10||4:35pm AEST|
|22||Geelong Cats||The Gabba||Saturday, August 17||2:10pm AEST|
Brisbane Lions players to watch in 2019
The Lions could hardly have dreamed up a better replacement for Dayne Beams after his return to Collingwood. Neale is a prolific ball-getter and a damaging runner on the outside who adds serious pace and quality to an already talented Brisbane midfield.
Only a few people know exactly went wrong for Lyons at the Gold Coast last season, but he is running out of chances at AFL level. This guy knows how to get the footy and could emerge as one of the signings of the season if he stays in the coaches’ good graces.
Brisbane’s list is loaded with promising talent after years of high draft picks, but Witherden might be the best of the lot. The 2017 Rising Star nominee possesses great vision with ball in hand and his foot skills from defence are second to none at the Gabba.
Brisbane Lions records
Most matches: Simon Black – 322 (1998-2013)
Most goals kicked in one match: Jonathan Brown – 10 goals (Rd 16, 2007)
Most Best & Fairest awards: Michael Voss, Jonathan Brown, Dayne Zorko – three each
Most matches as coach: Leigh Matthews – 237 (1999-2008)
Most goals in a season: Jonathan Brown – 84 (2009)
Most career goals: Alastair Lynch – 633 (1988-2004)
Latest AFL news
AFL round 6 odds and early betting market analysis
Round 6 of the AFL season runs from Wednesday to Sunday this week, and if the betting odds are any indication, anything could happen. We...
AFL 2019 Round 5 Sportsbet Same Game Multi betting – Tigers vs. Swans
No match this Saturday is as big as the Richmond and Sydney encounter at Marvel Stadium. Richmond is still playing without many of its star...
2019 AFL Round 5 betting – Kangaroos vs Bombers odds & predictions
The Kangaroos will take on the Bombers under the bright lights of Marvel Stadium in what has become a fascinating Good Friday match-up.
2019 AFL Round 5 betting tips – Brisbane vs Collingwood predictions
Easter Thursday football has never been this exciting as two in-form sides meet in what will be the biggest AFL game the Gabba has hosted...
AFL round 5 betting odds and analysis
Online betting sites are predicting a lopsided round 5 of the 2019 AFL season, with the odds suggesting a long weekend of blowouts and predictable...