These are interesting times for the Brisbane Lions.
Chris Fagan’s men finished fourth from bottom in 2018, but a closer look at their record shows significant improvement across the board.
Can the Lions move up again in 2019 and set the stage for a finals charge in the not-too-distant future?
About the Brisbane Lions
|Home ground:||The GABBA|
|Premierships:||3 – 2001, 2002, 2003|
|2018 ladder finish:||15th|
Best bookmakers to bet on the Brisbane Lions
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated Brisbane Lions futures betting
|2019 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$67||$3.50||$12||E Hipwood $51|
Best Brisbane Lions bets for the 2018 AFL season
Where are the best Brisbane bets in the AFL futures markets for 2018?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- Stop it. Don’t even look in this section. We can’t believe you clicked this tab open. The Lions are $151 to win the premiership at Sportsbet and in our opinion, those odds are no where near high enough. If you can find somewhere in the vicinity of $5,000 for the Lions to pinch a flag, have a go, but in the interim, perhaps hold on to your money when it comes to premiership betting.
- Weirder things have happened in the AFL. Not many weirder than the Lions making finals in 2018, but some definitely have. The Lions will need a fairytale season in which the talented kids take huge leaps, the veterans re-find their very best football and the same side that couldn’t win more than five games last year somehow manage to win more than 12. To say it’s all very unlikely is an understatement. The club will look to improve, but 2018 is not the season in which it will aim for finals.
- Brisbane captain Dayne Beams has shown a tendency to catch the attention of umpires when it comes to polling votes when he plays well. Unfortunately for Beams, his good games have often been overshadowed in thumping Brisbane losses and he’s missed large chunks of the last three seasons with injury.If Beams re-captures his best form, the Lions remain competitive and win more than eight games there could be some value in the $21 Sportsbet has on the skipper.
- Here is an award that the Lions will seriously fancy their chances in. Lions midfielder Alex Witherden got a taste of the big time last year and impressed all. Witherden is the $6 favourite to win the award and for good reason. He will start in the Lions Round 1 side, play every week and stand out in a midfield that will ask a lot of him. Witherden ticks a lot of the usual Rising Star boxes and there’s a reason why he’s at the top of the tree here.
- Brisbane don’t have a realistic option in Coleman Medal betting. Young forward Eric Hipwood sits at $51, but given he’s still playing further up the ground in a team that doesn’t provide adequate supply, he’s absolutely no chance. Don’t bother with Hipwood this year, but keep an eye on the kid, because one day he could be the best forward in the comp.
Brisbane Lions 2019 AFL fixture
|1||West Coast Eagles||The Gabba||Saturday, March 23||7:20pm AEST|
|2||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, March 31||1:10pm AEDT|
|3||Port Adelaide Power||The Gabba||Saturday, April 6||6:25pm AEST|
|4||Essendon Bombers||MCG||Saturday, April 13||2:10pm AEST|
|5||Collingwood Magpies||Gabba||Thursday, April 18||7:35pm AEST|
|6||Gold Coast Suns||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, April 27||1:45pm AEST|
|7||Sydney Swans||The Gabba||Saturday, May 4||4:35pm AEST|
|8||Western Bulldogs||Mars Stadium||Saturday, May 11||1:45pm AEST|
|9||Adelaide Crows||The Gabba||Saturday, May 18||2:10pm AEST|
|10||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Sunday, May 26||3:20pm AWST|
|11||Hawthorn Hawks||The Gabba||Saturday, June 1||7:25pm AEST|
|12||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, June 8||1:45pm AEST|
|14||St Kilda Saints||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, June 22||4:35pm AEST|
|15||Melbourne Demons||The Gabba||Sunday, June 30||3:20pm AEST|
|16||GWS Giants||Sydney Showground||Sunday, July 7||4:40pm AEST|
|17||Port Adelaide Power||Adelaide Oval||Sunday, July 14||4:10pm ACST|
|18||North Melbourne Kangaroos||The Gabba||Saturday, July 20||7:25pm AEST|
|19||Hawthorn Hawks||UTAS Stadium||Saturday, July 27||1:45pm AEST|
|20||Western Bulldogs||The Gabba||Sunday, August 4||4:40pm AEST|
|21||Gold Coast Suns||The Gabba||Saturday, August 10||4:35pm AEST|
|22||Geelong Cats||The Gabba||Saturday, August 17||2:10pm AEST|
Brisbane Lions 2018 playing list
Brisbane Lions records
Most matches: Simon Black – 322 (1998-2013)
Most goals kicked in one match: Jonathan Brown – 10 goals (Rd 16, 2007)
Most Best & Fairest awards: Michael Voss, Jonathan Brown, Dayne Zorko – 3 each
Most matches as coach: Leigh Matthews – 237 (1999-2008)
Most goals in a season: Jonathan Brown – 84 (2009)
Most career goals: Alastair Lynch – 633 (1988-2004)
Latest AFL news
Brisbane Lions veteran Mitch Robinson signs with eSports franchise
Mitch Robinson created Australian sporting history this week, becoming the first active AFL player to sign on with an eSports franchise.
Should AFL & NRL multi winner get his pay-out from the TAB?
By now, you may have already read about it. A young Victorian punter, at the ripe old age of 20, has nailed a stunning multi...
Tigers start 2019 as AFL flag favourites after West Coast triumph
RICHMOND will begin the 2019 AFL season as the $5 favourite to win the premiership after securing the signature of superstar free agent Tom Lynch....
2018 AFL Grand Final same game multi tips – West Coast vs. Collingwood
Final Ladder Position: West Coast Eagles: 2nd Collingwood Magpies: 3rd Form Guide: West Coast Eagles: WLWWW Collingwood Magpies: WWLWW Last Match Result: West Coast Eagles:...
2018 AFL Grand Final goal scoring guide – value odds & free tips
IT takes but one moment to etch yourself in AFL Grand Final history. A match of football that has been slugged out for over two...