The North Melbourne Kangaroos are in a period of transition on the field.
After topping up its list looking for an elusive AFL Premiership win earlier in the decade, the Roos were forced to face the reality that comes with an ageing list no longer capable of playing finals football and began their rebuild.
Most pundits tipped them to challenge for the wooden spoon in 2018, but North have never been content to play along to the expectations of others. Instead they spent much of the campaign in the top eight and wound up missing finals by only a game and percentage.
Ably led by coach Brad Scott and young captain Jack Ziebell, the Shinboners are looking to kick things up a notch this season and have a crack in September.
Is there value surrounding the club in any of the popular 2019 AFL betting markets? Let’s take a look.
About the North Melbourne Kangaroos
|Home ground:||Etihad Stadium|
|Premierships:||4 – 1975, 1977, 1996, 1999|
|2018 ladder finish:||9th|
Best bookmakers to bet on the Kangaroos
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated North Melbourne futures betting
|2018 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$26||$2.25||$6||S Higgins $51||B Brown $8|
Best North Melbourne bets for the 2018 AFL season
Where are the best North Melbourne Kangaroos bets in the AFL futures markets that matter?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- Nope. All different kinds of nope.
The Roos, who won six games last season, will not be winning the 2018 AFL premiership. In year two of a rebuild and committed to playing a number of the young talent the club has picked up in the last 12 months, North Melbourne has publicly stated that its goal is finals, but what is more realistic is a bottom four finish.
- The Roos are priced at $6 to make the final eight after 23 rounds of football and those odds simply are not long enough to have a dash at.
Yes, the Roos are just two seasons removed from their last finals jaunt and still have the talent to win more than 10 games if everything clicks, but the club’s goal will be to remain competitive without risking any early draft picks.
- Brownlow Medal night has been a quiet affair for North Melbourne’s players for the last few years and we don’t expect that to change in 2018. Firstly, North Melbourne lacks the star power and midfield guns that will garner attention. Secondly, the Roos simply won’t win enough games to give any of their players a chance. Ben Cunnington is the club’s best chance at $151, but we dare say he won’t have to bother writing any acceptance speeches come September.
- Early Roos draft pick Luke Davies-Uniacke gives his side a real chance in the Rising Star market in 2018. Davies-Uniacke, taken at number four in the 2017 national draft, is the club’s earliest selection in more than a decade. There’s no doubt he’ll get an abundance of opportunity in a rebuilding Roos side and the $10 being offered at Sportsbet could prove to be real value.
- North Melbourne’s big forward Ben Brown is one of the leading candidates in Coleman Medal betting this year. Despite his club’s struggles in the bottom half of the ladder, Brown made the most of his limited opportunities and kicked 63 goals in a season in which he was Coleman contender for much of the year. Brown provides real value in this market and shouldn’t have much competition from any of his teammates for goals.
North Melbourne Kangaroos 2019 AFL fixture
|1||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Sunday, March 24||3:20pm AWST|
|2||Brisbane Lions||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, March 31||1:10pm AEDT|
|3||Hawthorn Hawks||MCG||Sunday, April 7||3:20pm AEST|
|4||Adelaide Crows||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, April 13||7:25pm AEST|
|5||Essendon Bombers||Marvel Stadium||Friday, April 19||4:30pm AEST|
|6||Port Adelaide Power||Adelaide Oval||Friday, April 26||7:20pm ACST|
|7||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, May 5||1:10pm AEST|
|8||Geelong Cats||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, May 12||1:10pm AEST|
|9||Sydney Swans||Blundstone Arena||Saturday, May 18||7:25pm AEST|
|10||Western Bulldogs||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, May 25||2:10pm AEST|
|11||Richmond Tigers||Marvel Stadium||Friday, May 31||7:50pm AEST|
|12||Gold Coast Suns||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, June 8||4:35pm AEST|
|13||GWS Giants||Blundstone Arena||Sunday, June 16||3:20pm AEST|
|15||Collingwood Magpies||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, June 29||7:25pm AEST|
|16||St Kilda Saints||Blundstone Arena||Sunday, July 7||3:20pm AEST|
|17||Essendon Bombers||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, July 13||4:35pm AEST|
|18||Brisbane Lions||The Gabba||Saturday, July 20||7:25pm AEST|
|19||West Coast Eagles||Optus Stadium||Saturday, July 27||2:35pm AWST|
|20||Hawthorn Hawks||Marvel Stadium||Friday, August 2||7:50pm AEST|
|21||Geelong Cats||GMHBA Stadium||Saturday, August 10||7:25pm AEST|
|22||Port Adelaide Power||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, August 17||7:25pm AEST|
|23||Melbourne Demons||Blundstone Arena||TBA||TBA|
North Melbourne Kangaroos 2018 playing list
North Melbourne Kangaroos records
Most matches: Brent Harvey – 432 (1996-2016) *AFL Record
Most goals kicked in one match: John Longmire vs. Melbourne, 1990 – 14
Most Best & Fairest awards: Brent Harvey – 5 (2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010)
Most goals in a season: Doug Wade (1972), Malcolm Blight (1983) – 103
Most career goals: Wayne Carey – 671
Latest AFL news
Brisbane Lions veteran Mitch Robinson signs with eSports franchise
Mitch Robinson created Australian sporting history this week, becoming the first active AFL player to sign on with an eSports franchise.
Should AFL & NRL multi winner get his pay-out from the TAB?
By now, you may have already read about it. A young Victorian punter, at the ripe old age of 20, has nailed a stunning multi...
Tigers start 2019 as AFL flag favourites after West Coast triumph
RICHMOND will begin the 2019 AFL season as the $5 favourite to win the premiership after securing the signature of superstar free agent Tom Lynch....
2018 AFL Grand Final same game multi tips – West Coast vs. Collingwood
Final Ladder Position: West Coast Eagles: 2nd Collingwood Magpies: 3rd Form Guide: West Coast Eagles: WLWWW Collingwood Magpies: WWLWW Last Match Result: West Coast Eagles:...
2018 AFL Grand Final goal scoring guide – value odds & free tips
IT takes but one moment to etch yourself in AFL Grand Final history. A match of football that has been slugged out for over two...