The North Melbourne Kangaroos are in a period of transition on the field.
After topping up its list looking for an elusive AFL Premiership win earlier in the decade, the Roos were forced to face the reality that comes with an ageing list no longer capable of playing finals football and began their rebuild.
Most pundits tipped them to challenge for the wooden spoon in 2018, but North have never been content to play along to the expectations of others. Instead they spent much of the campaign in the top eight and wound up missing finals by only a game and percentage.
Ably led by coach Brad Scott and young captain Jack Ziebell, the Shinboners are looking to kick things up a notch this season and have a crack in September.
Is there value surrounding the club in any of the popular 2019 AFL betting markets? Let’s take a look.
About the North Melbourne Kangaroos
|Home ground:||Etihad Stadium|
|Premierships:||4 – 1975, 1977, 1996, 1999|
|2018 ladder finish:||9th|
Best bookmakers to bet on the Kangaroos
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated North Melbourne futures betting
|2018 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$26||$2.25||$6||S Higgins $51||–||B Brown $8|
|Feb||$26||$2.25||$6||S Higgins $51||L Davies-Uniacke $11||B Brown $8|
|Mar||$26||$2.10||$5||S Higgins $67||L Davies-Uniacke $13||B Brown $8|
|Apr||$51||$4||$17||S Higgins $56||L Davies-Uniacke $17||B Brown $10|
Best North Melbourne bets for the 2019 AFL season
Where are the best North Melbourne Kangaroos bets in the AFL futures markets that matter?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- North Melbourne proved plenty of people wrong just by winning a game last season. They pushed for finals all year and wound up only four points outside the eight. Many will maintain the Kangaroos punched above their weight – and several other teams punched below theirs – so don’t expect to see much money for Brad Scott’s men to win the flag.
- Can the Roos inch up the ladder and into the finals this year? They are but one among a cluster of finals chances that finished outside the eight last season. There is a lot more love for the likes of Essendon, Adelaide and Port Adelaide to improve, and perhaps rightly so, but keep an eye on North’s early-season form before writing them off altogether.
- Shaun Higgins put together a career-best campaign in 2018 and was rewarded with All Australian selection, the Syd Barker Medal and 15 votes on Brownlow night. He is the pick of the Roos boys, but midfield machine Ben Cunnington and new recruit Aaron Hall are also worth a look at long odds.
- Luke Davies-Uniacke was among the favourites in Rising Star betting last year, but the young midfielder found game time hard to come by in his maiden season. He is still eligible for the award and should give Carlton’s upstarts a run for their money.
- Ben Brown is one of the leading candidates in Coleman Medal betting this year. The big Tasmanian forward has booted over 60 goals in each of the past two seasons and will be a very good chance to win the league goalkicking award if he does that again.
North Melbourne Kangaroos 2019 AFL fixture
|1||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Sunday, March 24||3:20pm AWST|
|2||Brisbane Lions||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, March 31||1:10pm AEDT|
|3||Hawthorn Hawks||MCG||Sunday, April 7||3:20pm AEST|
|4||Adelaide Crows||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, April 13||7:25pm AEST|
|5||Essendon Bombers||Marvel Stadium||Friday, April 19||4:30pm AEST|
|6||Port Adelaide Power||Adelaide Oval||Friday, April 26||7:20pm ACST|
|7||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, May 5||1:10pm AEST|
|8||Geelong Cats||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, May 12||1:10pm AEST|
|9||Sydney Swans||Blundstone Arena||Saturday, May 18||7:25pm AEST|
|10||Western Bulldogs||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, May 25||2:10pm AEST|
|11||Richmond Tigers||Marvel Stadium||Friday, May 31||7:50pm AEST|
|12||Gold Coast Suns||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, June 8||4:35pm AEST|
|13||GWS Giants||Blundstone Arena||Sunday, June 16||3:20pm AEST|
|15||Collingwood Magpies||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, June 29||7:25pm AEST|
|16||St Kilda Saints||Blundstone Arena||Sunday, July 7||3:20pm AEST|
|17||Essendon Bombers||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, July 13||4:35pm AEST|
|18||Brisbane Lions||The Gabba||Saturday, July 20||7:25pm AEST|
|19||West Coast Eagles||Optus Stadium||Saturday, July 27||2:35pm AWST|
|20||Hawthorn Hawks||Marvel Stadium||Friday, August 2||7:50pm AEST|
|21||Geelong Cats||GMHBA Stadium||Saturday, August 10||7:25pm AEST|
|22||Port Adelaide Power||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, August 17||7:25pm AEST|
|23||Melbourne Demons||Blundstone Arena||TBA||TBA|
Kangaroos players to watch in 2019
It was only two years ago that was Hall was touted as one of the most exciting players in the AFL. Injuries made his last season at the Suns a difficult one, but the Tasmanian now has a chance to restore his reputation as part of a new-look North Melbourne midfield.
North have put a hell of a lot of bait on the line over the past few years and Polec is the biggest fish they have caught to date. The speedy winger was a star in the Port Adelaide midfield and adds plenty of class to a Kangaroos side that has lacked polish in recent times.
Like both Hall and Polec, Tyson is an accomplished midfielder with a little over 100 games under his belt. He was a key contributor in an upwardly mobile Demons outfit over the past few years, so it will be interesting to see how and where he settles in at Arden Street.
North Melbourne Kangaroos records
Most matches: Brent Harvey – 432 (1996-2016) *AFL Record
Most goals kicked in one match: John Longmire vs. Melbourne, 1990 – 14
Most Best & Fairest awards: Brent Harvey – 5 (2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010)
Most goals in a season: Doug Wade (1972), Malcolm Blight (1983) – 103
Most career goals: Wayne Carey – 671
Latest AFL news
AFL round 6 odds and early betting market analysis
Round 6 of the AFL season runs from Wednesday to Sunday this week, and if the betting odds are any indication, anything could happen. We...
AFL 2019 Round 5 Sportsbet Same Game Multi betting – Tigers vs. Swans
No match this Saturday is as big as the Richmond and Sydney encounter at Marvel Stadium. Richmond is still playing without many of its star...
2019 AFL Round 5 betting – Kangaroos vs Bombers odds & predictions
The Kangaroos will take on the Bombers under the bright lights of Marvel Stadium in what has become a fascinating Good Friday match-up.
2019 AFL Round 5 betting tips – Brisbane vs Collingwood predictions
Easter Thursday football has never been this exciting as two in-form sides meet in what will be the biggest AFL game the Gabba has hosted...
AFL round 5 betting odds and analysis
Online betting sites are predicting a lopsided round 5 of the 2019 AFL season, with the odds suggesting a long weekend of blowouts and predictable...