The Gold Coast Suns have made little to no progress since joining the Australian Football League in 2011.
The AFL’s pet project has failed to make the finals and, despite being awarded a bevy of first-round draft selections in its formative years, has fallen down the ladder instead of climbing it.
After signing the game’s best player, Gary Ablett Jr, there was hope that the expansion team would be able to capture some of the growing Queensland market and deliver on the field.
To date, the club has failed on both fronts. A large majority of its young and senior talent has departed the club, which has sacked two coaches in seven years.
Worst of all, Ablett – the club’s first captain and the best player of the last two decades – has returned to Geelong to finish his glorious career.
Is there any hope on the horizon for the Suns? Certainly not in the short term. With new coach Stuart Dew taking the reins and bringing in fresh and talented youth through the draft, the Suns will hope to show some promising signs for the future.
Let’s take a look at where we can find value in this year’s AFL betting markets.
About the Gold Coast Suns
|Home ground:||Metricon Stadium|
|Captain:||Tom Lynch, Steven May|
|2018 ladder finish:||17th|
Best bookmakers to bet on the Gold Coast Suns
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated Gold Coast Suns futures betting
|2019 Premiership||Make Finals||Wooden Spoon||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
Best Gold Coast Suns bets for the 2018 AFL season
Where are the best Gold Coast bets in the AFL futures markets for 2018?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- Don’t bother. A meteorite is more likely to cause human extinction on planet Earth than Gold Coast is to win the AFL premiership in 2018. Spend your money elsewhere, this club is more than five years away from competing to play finals, let alone premierships.
- The Gold Coast are at the longest odds in the competition to make the finals in 2018 and for good reason. They’re no good. Ablett has left, their current captain and best player Tom Lynch is almost out the door and their midfield will consist of struggling veterans and young players. The Suns can’t do much worse than last year and should improve with Dew in charge, but they won’t win more than a handful of games.
- No Suns player is winning the Brownlow this year. Aaron Hall is the mostly likely to poll votes and is paying $151 to win the Brownlow, but his team simply won’t win enough games to help him have a chance to compete with the favourites.
- Surprisingly enough and perhaps depressingly for Gold Coast fans, the Suns, despite having a young list, don’t have any real Rising Star candidates this season. Will Brodie, the young midfielder who made his debut last season, is in the running at +2500 with Sportsbet.com.au, will need to have an outstanding season to out-shine the bigger names in this market.
- The one chance the Gold Coast have to pick up some silverware in 2018 is in the Coleman Medal. Suns captain Tom Lynch is paying $10 in Coleman Medal betting and has the ability to get the job done, despite the lack of supply and Gold Coast’s scoring troubles.
Gold Coast Suns 2019 AFL fixture
|1||St Kilda Saints||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, March 24||1:10pm AEDT|
|2||Fremantle Dockers||Metricon Stadium||Sunday, March 31||3:40pm AEST|
|3||Western Bulldogs||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, April 7||2:20pm AEST|
|4||Carlton Blues||Metricon Stadium||Sunday, April 14||2:40pm AEST|
|5||Adelaide Crows||Adelaide Oval||Sunday, April 21||4:10pm ACST|
|6||Brisbane Lions||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, April 27||1:45pm AEST|
|7||West Coast Eagles||Optus Stadium||Saturday, May 4||6:10pm AWST|
|8||Melbourne Demons||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, May 11||4:35pm AEST|
|9||Port Adelaide Power||Adelaide Oval||Sunday, May 19||12:40pm ACST|
|10||Geelong Cats||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, May 25||7:25pm AEST|
|11||GWS Giants||Sydney Showground||Saturday, June 1||1:45pm AEST|
|12||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, June 8||4:35pm AEST|
|13||St Kilda Saints||Riverway Stadium||Saturday, June 15||1:45pm AEST|
|15||Sydney Swans||SCG||Saturday, June 29||4:35pm AEST|
|16||Richmond Tigers||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, July 6||2:10pm AEST|
|17||Adelaide Crows||Metricon Stadium||Saturday, July 13||7:25pm AEST|
|18||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, July 20||2:10pm AEST|
|19||Essendon Bombers||Metricon Stadium||Sunday, July 28||4:40pm AEST|
|20||Collingwood Magpies||MCG||Sunday, August 4||1:10pm AEST|
|21||Brisbane Lions||The Gabba||Saturday, August 10||4:35pm AEST|
|22||Hawthorn Hawks||Marvel Stadium||Sunday, August 18||4:40pm AEST|
|23||GWS Giants||Metricon Stadium||TBA||TBA|
Gold Coast Suns 2018 playing list
Gold Coast Suns records
Most matches: Jarrod Harbrow – 154 (2011-present)
Most goals kicked in one match: Charlie Dixon – 7 goals (Rd 14, 2015)
Most Best & Fairest awards: Gary Ablett Jr – 4 (2011-13, 2017)
Most matches as coach: Guy McKenna – 88 (2011-2014)
Most goals in a season: Tom Lynch – 66 (2016)
Most career goals: Tom Lynch – 254 (2011-2017)
Latest AFL news
Hawks drift in flag betting following Mitchell’s season-ending injury
HAWTHORN’S premiership chances have taken a nose dive in the eyes of
Brisbane Lions veteran Mitch Robinson signs with eSports franchise
Mitch Robinson created Australian sporting history this week, becoming the first active AFL player to sign on with an eSports franchise.
Should AFL & NRL multi winner get his pay-out from the TAB?
By now, you may have already read about it. A young Victorian punter, at the ripe old age of 20, has nailed a stunning multi...
Tigers start 2019 as AFL flag favourites after West Coast triumph
RICHMOND will begin the 2019 AFL season as the $5 favourite to win the premiership after securing the signature of superstar free agent Tom Lynch....
2018 AFL Grand Final same game multi tips – West Coast vs. Collingwood
Final Ladder Position: West Coast Eagles: 2nd Collingwood Magpies: 3rd Form Guide: West Coast Eagles: WLWWW Collingwood Magpies: WWLWW Last Match Result: West Coast Eagles:...