The Sydney Swans became an entity in 1982, when the then-VFL relocated South Melbourne, long known as the Bloods, to form the first non-Victorian team in the competition we now know as the Australian Football League.
After many decades of misery, the Sydney Swans have emerged as perennial contenders. They have played in five grand finals for two flags since 2005, when they ended a 72-year premiership drought with a nail-biting victory over the West Coast Eagles.
But after a meek exit in the first week of the 2018 finals series, there are growing doubts about Sydney’s future. The squad is ageing, premiership stars have moved on and years of sustained success has left the club with minimal leverage in the draft.
Thus, 2019 could prove to be a critical year for John Longmire and his charges. Let’s check in with the bookies and see how the Swans are shaping up in the major AFL betting markets for 2019.
About the Sydney Swans
|Home ground:||Sydney Cricket Ground|
|Premierships:||5 – 1909, 1918, 1933, 2005, 2012|
|2018 ladder finish:||7th|
Best bookmakers to bet on Sydney Swans
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated Swans futures betting
|2019 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$12||$1.70||$2.75||J Kennedy $34||L Franklin $5|
Best Sydney bets for the 2018 AFL season
Where are the best Sydney bets in the AFL futures markets that matter?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- Sydney will enter the 2018 season as the second favourite to win the premiership and they deserve to be there. The Swans midfield hard-working and they will hope that the injection of more class in Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills and Oliver Florent can tip them over the edge. Having said this as a neutral observer the $6 on offer for the Swans to win the flag is unders and I think you will get better odds at some point during the season. Longmire is a master at getting his team to peak at the right moments and he’ll be stinging with last year’s disappointment.
- Not much to see here folks. You can almost lock the Swans into the top eight in 2018 and the bookies know it. If you can find better than $1.20 jump on it.
- The Swans’ best hope to win the Brownlow Medal, according to the oddsmakers is Josh Kennedy, but we much prefer Isaac Heeney at $101 with Sportsbet.com.au. The young gun has reportedly had a good preseason and possesses similar eye-catching traits as recent winners Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield. Plus more midfield time equals more votes. Can you resist the juicy odds?
- The bookies are keeping Oliver Florent safe, but I would have liked to have seen more from the son of a gun last season. I think the $12 on offer is too short and I would look to other clubs for the winner of this award.
- Lance “Buddy” Franklin has done it before and again looms as the Swans’ best shot of claiming the coveted Coleman Medal. The big fella is likely to play closer to goal with Kurt Tippett retiring and no replacement in the wings. Is on the second line of betting at $4.50 and looms as one of the top hopes to win the goal kicking.
Sydney Swans 2019 AFL fixture
|1||Western Bulldogs||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, March 23||7:25pm AEDT|
|2||Adelaide Crows||SCG||Friday, March 29||7:50pm AEDT|
|3||Carlton Blues||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, April 6||1:45pm AEDT|
|4||Melbourne Demons||SCG||Thursday, April 11||7:20pm AEST|
|5||Richmond Tigers||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, April 20||7:25pm AEST|
|6||GWS Giants||SCG||Saturday, April 27||7:25pm AEST|
|7||Brisbane Lions||The Gabba||Saturday, May 4||4:35pm AEST|
|8||Essendon Bombers||SCG||Friday, May 10||7:50pm AEST|
|9||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Blundstone Arena||Saturday, May 18||7:25pm AEST|
|10||Collingwood Magpies||SCG||Friday, May 24||7:50pm AEST|
|11||Geelong Cats||GMHBA Stadium||Saturday, June 1||4:35pm AEST|
|12||West Coast Eagles||SCG||Sunday, June 9||3:20pm AEST|
|14||Hawthorn Hawks||SCG||Friday, June 21||7:50pm AEST|
|15||Gold Coast Suns||SCG||Saturday, June 29||4:35pm AEST|
|16||Essendon Bombers||MCG||Saturday, July 6||1:45pm AEST|
|17||Carlton Blues||SCG||Saturday, July 13||1:45pm AEST|
|18||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Saturday, July 20||6:10pm AWST|
|19||Geelong Cats||SCG||Sunday, July 28||3:20pm AEST|
|20||GWS Giants||Sydney Showground||Saturday, August 3||2:10pm AEST|
|21||Port Adelaide Power||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, August 10||1:40pm ACST|
|22||Melbourne Demons||MCG||Friday, August 16||7:50pm AEST|
|23||St Kilda Saints||SCG||TBA||TBA|
St Kilda Saints 2018 playing list
Sydney Swans records
Most matches: Adam Goodes – 372
Most goals kicked in one match: 16 Tony Lockett – Round 19, 1995 v Fitzroy, Western Oval
Most matches as coach: 202 – Paul Roos
Most goals in a season: 150 – Bob Pratt (1934)
Most career goals: Bob Pratt – 681
Latest AFL news
Brisbane Lions veteran Mitch Robinson signs with eSports franchise
Mitch Robinson created Australian sporting history this week, becoming the first active AFL player to sign on with an eSports franchise.
Should AFL & NRL multi winner get his pay-out from the TAB?
By now, you may have already read about it. A young Victorian punter, at the ripe old age of 20, has nailed a stunning multi...
Tigers start 2019 as AFL flag favourites after West Coast triumph
RICHMOND will begin the 2019 AFL season as the $5 favourite to win the premiership after securing the signature of superstar free agent Tom Lynch....
2018 AFL Grand Final same game multi tips – West Coast vs. Collingwood
Final Ladder Position: West Coast Eagles: 2nd Collingwood Magpies: 3rd Form Guide: West Coast Eagles: WLWWW Collingwood Magpies: WWLWW Last Match Result: West Coast Eagles:...
2018 AFL Grand Final goal scoring guide – value odds & free tips
IT takes but one moment to etch yourself in AFL Grand Final history. A match of football that has been slugged out for over two...