Port Adelaide entered into the AFL in 1997, joining the Adelaide Crows as the second side from South Australia in the national competition.
The club’s predecessors, the Port Adelaide Magpies, have a proud history of success in the South Australian National Football League, and it took the Power just seven seasons to translate that success to the AFL with a maiden premiership in 2004 over the Brisbane Lions.
The pickings since that history-making flag have been slim.
After inheriting a struggling side earlier in the decade, coach Ken Hinkley has taken Port Adelaide as far as a preliminary final in 2014, but has since struggled to fulfil that promise since.
The Power got serious in the 2017 trade window, recruiting Melbourne forward Jack Watts, former Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff and dynamic Geelong wingman Daniel Motlop in an effort to add the firepower and experience needed to take the next step.
However, a horror finish to the 2018 home and away season saw Port slide out of finals contention altogether despite spending much of the year in and around the top four.
Another busy trade period means the Power will enter 2019 as something of an unknown quantity. Let’s take a look at the odds and see where the club sits in the major AFL betting markets.
About the Port Adelaide Power
|Home ground:||Adelaide Oval|
|Premierships:||1 – 2014|
|2018 ladder finish:||10th|
Best bookmakers to bet on the Power
||Bet Now Read Review|
Updated Port Adelaide futures betting
|2019 Premiership||Make Finals||Make Top 4||Brownlow Odds||Rising Star Odds||Coleman Odds|
|Jan||$18||$2||$4.50||R Gray $34||–||R Gray $34|
|Feb||$21||$2.25||$5.50||R Gray $34||C Rozee $26||C Dixon $41|
Best Port Adelaide bets for the 2019 AFL season
Where are the best Port Adelaide bets in the AFL futures markets that matter?
Click on the tabs below to get more analysis on these markets:
- Port Adelaide rank among the most enigmatic teams in the AFL. Their best is very good, but we haven’t seen it often enough in the past few seasons. If you are looking at a long shot to win the flag, there are better, more reliable options out there.
- The Power were their own worst enemy last year. After flirting with the top four for much of the campaign, they wound up 10th after some horrible displays in the run home. When you compare them to the other teams aiming to break into the eight – Adelaide and Essendon, for example – it doesn’t look good for Port.
- Robbie Gray was a little way short of his brilliant best last season, but the versatile half-forward is far and away Port’s top candidate in Brownlow Medal betting. Fans of Tom Rockliff might consider a cheeky flutter on the former Brisbane Lions star at 100/1 odds.
- Connor Rozee was one among several South Australian talents that went high in last year’s AFL Draft. Port’s other big chance in the Rising Star betting is key forward Todd Marshall, who remains eligible despite making his debut in 2017.
- Charlie Dixon is Port Adelaide’s main man up forward, yet he finished 10 behind Robbie Gray in the club goalkicking charts last year. Much will depend on how both players are deployed over the course of the campaign, but Dixon is known to go missing in big games while Gray has a happy knack of booting bags when they are needed.
Port Adelaide Power 2019 AFL fixture
|1||Melbourne Demons||MCG||Saturday, March 23||1:45pm AEDT|
|2||Carlton Blues||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, March 30||4:40pm ACDT|
|3||Brisbane Lions||The Gabba||Saturday, April 6||6:25pm AEST|
|4||Richmond Tigers||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, April 13||4:05pm ACST|
|5||West Coast Eagles||Optus Stadium||Friday, April 19||6:10pm AWST|
|6||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Adelaide Oval||Friday, April 26||7:20pm ACST|
|7||Collingwood Magpies||Marvel Stadium||Friday, May 5||7:50pm AEST|
|8||Adelaide Crows||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, May 11||7:10pm ACST|
|9||Gold Coast Suns||Adelaide Oval||Sunday, May 19||12:40pm ACST|
|10||Hawthorn Hawks||UTAS Stadium||Saturday, May 25||1.45pm AEST|
|11||St Kilda Saints||Jiangwan Stadium||Sunday, June 2||12:10pm AWST|
|13||Fremantle Dockers||Optus Stadium||Saturday, June 15||2:35pm AWST|
|14||Geelong Cats||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, June 22||7:10pm ACST|
|15||Western Bulldogs||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, June 29||7:10pm ACST|
|16||Adelaide Crows||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, July 6||4:05pm ACST|
|17||Brisbane Lions||Adelaide Oval||Sunday, July 14||4:10pm ACST|
|18||Richmond Tigers||MCG||Saturday, July 20||1:45pm AEST|
|19||GWS Giants||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, July 27||7:10pm ACST|
|20||Essendon Bombers||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, August 3||1:45pm AEST|
|21||Sydney Swans||Adelaide Oval||Saturday, August 10||1:40pm ACST|
|22||North Melbourne Kangaroos||Marvel Stadium||Saturday, August 17||7:25pm AEST|
|23||Fremantle Dockers||Adelaide Oval||TBA||TBA|
Port Adelaide Power 2018 playing list
Port Adelaide Power records
Most matches: Kane Cornes – 300 (2001-2015)
Most matches coached: Mark Williams – 274 (1999-2010)
Most goals kicked in one match: 8 goals – Warren Tredrea vs. Carlton, Rd 8 1998
Most Best & Fairest awards: Warren Tredrea, Kane Cornes – 4
Most goals in a season: Warren Tredrea – 81 (2004)
Most career goals: Warren Tredrea – 549
Latest AFL news
Hawks drift in flag betting following Mitchell’s season-ending injury
HAWTHORN’S premiership chances have taken a nose dive in the eyes of
Brisbane Lions veteran Mitch Robinson signs with eSports franchise
Mitch Robinson created Australian sporting history this week, becoming the first active AFL player to sign on with an eSports franchise.
Should AFL & NRL multi winner get his pay-out from the TAB?
By now, you may have already read about it. A young Victorian punter, at the ripe old age of 20, has nailed a stunning multi...
Tigers start 2019 as AFL flag favourites after West Coast triumph
RICHMOND will begin the 2019 AFL season as the $5 favourite to win the premiership after securing the signature of superstar free agent Tom Lynch....
2018 AFL Grand Final same game multi tips – West Coast vs. Collingwood
Final Ladder Position: West Coast Eagles: 2nd Collingwood Magpies: 3rd Form Guide: West Coast Eagles: WLWWW Collingwood Magpies: WWLWW Last Match Result: West Coast Eagles:...