MAKYBE DIVA STAKES
1600m, $750,000, weight-for-age
* First run in 1948 when won by Lungi
* Group One from 2012. Run over 2000m 1948-64. Until 2006 known as Craiglee Stakes
* Comic Court (1949), Light Fingers (1965), Rain Lover (1969), Dulcify (1979), Zabeel (1990), Mahogany (1994), Jeune (1995), Northerly (2002), Weekend Hussler (2008), Fawkner (2015), Palentino (2016).
* Damien Oliver with four wins (Fawkner, Vigor, Sky Heights, Marble Halls) is the most successful modern day jockey ahead of Craig Williams with three
* Last horse to complete Makybe Diva Stakes-Caulfield Cup double: Northerly (2002)
* Last horse to complete Makybe Diva Stakes-Cox Plate double: Northerly (2002)
* Last horse to complete Makybe Diva-Melbourne Cup double: Rain Lover (1969)
WHAT THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
“I thought Hartnell was terrific first-up. Black Heart Bart is such an honest campaigner. Hey Doc was good the other day. It’s a good race, and deservedly so” – Le Romain’s trainer Kris Lees.
“We’re very excited about his prospects on the weekend and getting him into his preferred environment where he gets out on a big track and can use his big action and get plenty of galloping room” – Hartnell’s trainer James Cummings.
“Our main aim is to get the horse relaxed in the race and how Luke (Curriie) elects to do that is going to be his decision. “The horse is as good as he can be and if Luke is as good as he can be, hopefully they’ll work it out” – Hey Doc’s trainer Tony McEvoy.
Homework to determine Bowman’s Cup ride
Houtzen to put Everest hopes on show
Maher didn’t know conman owned horses
Harlem handed 0.5kg penalty for Cups
Cracksman to miss Arc, Enable odds-on
Maher hearing over ownership bona fides
Gingernuts building for Cups campaign
No Epsom for Rose winner Trapeze Artist