Round seven was a week for the punters, with eight of the weekend’s nine favourites in head-to-head betting saluting with victories.
After another convincing victory, this time over a hapless Fremantle, Richmond’s premiership defence kicked into another gear as the Tigers 2018 flag odds dropped to $4 at Sportsbet.com.au.
While the Tigers surged, Sydney left punters scratching their heads after a loss to the up-start Kangaroos.
Essendon and St Kilda’s seasons of misery didn’t get any better, while Carlton and Brisbane remain winless after seven attempts.
So, after delivering betting previews for five of the weekend’s matches, how did our resident AFL tipster go?
Geelong vs GWS winning tips
The Cats did as they pleased against a hapless and banged-up GWS, winning convincingly 14.9 (93) to 4.8 (32).
- After a hot start to the season playing as a loose man across half back, we backed Tom Stewart to get 30 touches for the cats at $3.10 with Sportsbet and he delivered handsomely, getting our weekend off to a bright start.
- While some crucial GWS injuries prior to the match hurt our match prediction, the Giants did help us on the betting front with their inaccuracy in front of goal. They were first to kick five behinds, paying $2.14
Essendon vs. Hawthorn winning tips
Where to for the poor old Bombers? After roundly being tipped to make the finals during the pre-season, Essendon now sit at 2-5 after seven matches and Saturday’s loss to Hawthorn, 10.7 (67) to 13.12 (90).
- After a goalless Round 6, we backed Jarryd Roughead to bounce back and kick two goals or more at $1.62 and he delivered.
- For the Bombers, tackling machine Devon Smith was one player that could take pride in his performance. He was paying $1.55 to lay six tackles or more and did the hard work required.
- In victory, the Hawks delivered on three fronts. Their 13 goals just squeezed under our 13.5-goal line at $1.77. They easily covered the -8.5 line at $1.92 and the $1.62 head-to-head odds were always going to be generous.
Adelaide vs. Carlton betting wins
Adelaide had a beautiful little romp under the lights against Carlton on Saturday night, cruising to victory 19.11 (125) to 10.10 (70).
- Unfortunately, Carlton were able to put up just enough of a nuisance to cover its 55.5 line and also rob us off the Adelaide by 60 points+ bets.
- The Crows did get over 16.3 goals, paying $2.03 and the $1.04 for the win was better than bank interest.
St Kilda vs. Melbourne winning tips
St Kilda simply did not have the class to stay with the superior Demons on Sunday afternoon, losing 9.13 (67) to 16.10 (106).
- We tipped Melbourne to get off to a hot start and be over 44.5 by half time, paying $1.85. A big second quarter helped Simon Goodwin’s men not only break away from the Saints, but deliver us a nice little return.
- Winning convincingly was always on the cards for the favourites. We had them winning at $1.36 and covering the -18.5 line at $1.92 and they did the business without any stress.
Collingwood vs. Brisbane winning bets
Collingwood and Brisbane capped off round seven with a thriller at the GABBA in which Collingwood got over the line with some last-minute heroics, 19.7 (126) to 18.6 (119).
- We tipped the Pies to get over to a hot start and that’s exactly what they did, being the first to three goals ($1.54) and six behinds ($1.49).
- The game was a high-scoring one and that suited our tips. Collingwood topped 90.5 points in a canter, paying $1.78 and while we had to sweat on the win, the $1.34 return was welcomed.
Dockland’s re-branded “Marvel Stadium” divides fans
Winning tips from BettingSite’s Round 9 AFL match previews
Eagles fly towards the top of the premiership betting market
Are the Dons destined for 2018 obscurity?
Winning AFL bets from Round 6 – Swans and Eagles deliver big...
Winning bets for AFL Round 4 – Bombers bring home the bacon
Betting review from AFL Round 3 – a clean sweep of winners
Winning AFL tips and profits from Round 1 – punters cash-in early