ALMANDIN’S MELBOURNE CUP WIN
* The seven-year-old gelding won the Melbourne Cup at his 12th start. It was Almandin’s fifth career win.
* Out of four-time champion German stallion Monsun who also sired past Cup winners Protectionist (2014) and Fiorente (2013).
* Bought by influential owner Lloyd Williams in June 2014. He then syndicated the horse with music promoter Michael Gudinski, Sydney businessman and thoroughbred owner John Ingham, Quicksilver founder Alan Green, Rip Curl’s Brian Singer and construction bosses Vin Sammartino and Phil Mehrten.
* Beat subsequent Cup winner Protectionist in the Group Two Unternehmer Stakes at his final German start in June 2014.
* Had an extended spell due to a tendon issue.
* Finished sixth in first Australian run in June 2016 over 1600m. Followed up with two more unplaced efforts.
* Won the Listed Harry White Classic (2400m) at Caulfield on September 24.
* Won the Group Three Bart Cummings (2500m) at Flemington on October 2 to qualify for the Cup.
* Given a 30-day let-up before winning the Cup on November 1.