CHAMPAGNE STAKES FOR TWO-YEAR-OLDS AT RANDWICK:
* First run over seven furlongs (1400m) in 1866 when won by Fishhook
* Held over 1600m since 1972
* The final leg of the two-year-old triple crown after the Golden Slipper Stakes (1200m) and ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m)
* Outstanding gallopers to have won the race include: Furious (1921), Heroic (1924), Manfred (1925), Hall Mark (1933), Ajax (1937), Todman (1957), Wiggle (1958), Noholme (1959), Sky High (1960), Time And Tide (1963), Storm Queen (1966), Vain (1969), Baguette (1970), Luskin Star (1977), Red Anchor (1984), Bounding Away (1986), Triscay (1990), Pierro (2012) and Prized Icon (2016).
* Youngsters who have claimed the juvenile triple crown: Pierro (2012), Dance Hero (2004), Burst (1992), Tierce (1991), Luskin Star (1977) and Baguette (1970)
* One of five current Group One races for two-year-olds in Australia each season.
* 27 winners since 1983 have come through the Sires’ Produce
* Godolphin-owned horses have won all three Group One races for two-year-olds in Australia so far this season but the operation does not have a Champagne runner
* ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes placegetters Loving Gaby and Castelvecchio occupy the top two lines of betting
“She’s favourite and on form should be, so hopefully she gets the job done. It would be a great way to end the carnival”- Loving Gaby’s co-trainer David Eustace
“She was super for us at Sandown the other day and she has come on since. We think she has got a peak run in her this Saturday” – Lady Lupino’s trainer Danny O’Brien
“He’s done very well since (the Fernhill) so we’ll back him up” – Vinco’s trainer Tony McEvoy
“He’s eaten up everything. He nearly ate my arm off so we’ll back him up” Power Scheme’s co-trainer David Hayes