Trainer Matt Laurie resisted the temptation of some early black-type with impressive Bendigo winner Prince Of Sussex that he hopes will turn into a big pay day.
Prince Of Sussex blew away his rivals in Saturday’s VOBIS Gold Rush with Laurie now setting his sights on the $1 million The Showdown at Caulfield on April 27, a race restricted to Super VOBIS qualified two-year-olds.
Ridden by Michael Dee, Prince Of Sussex ($8) scored by 2-1/4 lengths from The Executioner ($15) with the $4 favourite Groot a length away third.
Laurie said The Showdown was spoken about soon after the race was announced last year.
“Obviously with young horses it’s a matter of whether they can keep it together,” Laurie said.
“I think this horse is going to be high class in another six months so to see him perform like that is very exciting.”
Asked whether he may switch his attention to Sydney, Laurie said he was committed to The Showdown.
“It’s a million dollar race here in Melbourne, it seems the logical race,” he said.
Laurie was deflated after the gelding was beaten at Pakenham on debut in January and decided to freshen him in preparation for The Showdown.
“We approached this race a little bit differently and that was awesome to watch,” Laurie said.
“I don’t think we’ve done anything different other than change our tactics.
“Not that we set out to lead with him first-up but it unfolded that way and he got super, super lost.”