Ours To Keep takes the first step in what trainer Chris Munce thinks will be a career-defining winter carnival campaign when he contests the Dalrello Stakes at Eagle Farm.
Saturday’s Listed Dalrello (1200m) has attracted 21 entries including another leading two-year-old contender for the winter, the Kelso Wood-trained Snitzkraft.
It will be Ours To Keep’s first start since his ninth behind Houtzen in the Magic Millions Classic on January 14.
He won his first three race starts including the Group Three B J McLachlan Stakes and the Listed Phelan Ready Stakes.
Munce was far from unhappy with Ours To Keep’s run in the Magic Millions but quickly elected to scrap any ideas of a Sydney autumn carnival campaign.
“Things didn’t go his way in the Magic Millions. But he had won more than $266,000 for us already so it was reasonable to give him a break with the winter in mind,” Munce said.
Ours To Keep showed he had come back well when he won a trial at Deagon last week.
“Ours To keep will resume in the Dalrello and that should give us a good guide as to where he is at,” Munce said.
“He will then push on to the (Group Two) Champagne Classic. If I think he can run 1400 to 1600 metres we will go on to the Sires-J J Atkins double.
“But if I don’t think he can, he can just have a few runs this campaign. It will also give us an idea which way to aim him in the spring.”
Munce has also entered last-start Sunshine Coast winner Saint Patricks Day in the Dalrello.No tags for this post.