$1 million, Group One, 1000m, weight-for-age at Moonee Valley
First run in 1976 over 1000 metres when it was won by Scamanda. Upgraded to Group One in 2013.
From 2007 to 2014 run at 1200m reverting to 1000m in 2015.
The honour roll lists some of Australia’ greatest sprinters including Manikato (1982), Placid Ark (1987), Schillaci (1992), Falvelon (2000), Miss Andretti (2007), Apache Cat (2009), Black Caviar (2010, 2011) and Buffering (2012, 2014, 2015), Viddora (2018).
* Multiple Group One winner Sunlight has returned to Melbourne for the race after bypassing last Saturday’s The Shorts in Sydney
* Track record holder Nature Strip is favourite to claim his second Group One win having been beaten as the short-priced favourite in the Moir last year
* The race has had its prize money doubled to $1 million this year and it kicks off the night racing season at The Valley
WHAT SOME OF THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
* “Obviously a horse like Nature Strip, he’ll jump and run around the Valley and will probably be hard to beat but I expect her to run pretty well as she always does here” – Sunlight’s jockey Luke Currie
* “I think he’s still got his tail in the air from that impressive win in the Stradbroke and I’d like to see him win fresh-up but the five furlongs will definitely be a challenge for him” – Trekking’s trainer James Cummings
* “He’s absolutely flying but it looks like it’s going to be a very, very tough race” – Bons Away’s co-trainer David Eustace
* “We won’t be taking away the speed from him. We will simply let him jump and be as settled as he possibly can be without over-racing” – Nature Strip’s trainer Chris Waller