BLACK CAVIAR LIGHTNING STAKES
Group One. 1000m. Weight-for-age. Flemington. Saturday February 17
* Dates back to 1955 with Group One status since 1987
* Named after the champion, and unbeaten, mare Black Caviar who won the race in 2011, 2012, 2013
* Other Notable Winners: Todman (1960); Sky High (1961/62); Dual Choice (1971); Maybe Mahal (1977/78); River Rough (1984/85); Placid Ark (1987); Shaftesbury Avenue (1991); Schillaci (1992/93); Mahogany (1995/97); General Nediym (1998); Testa Rossa (2000); Choisir (2003); Fastnet Rock (2005); Takeover Target (2006); Apache Cat (2008); Nicconi (2010); Lankee Rupee (2015); Chautauqua (2016)
* Leading Trainer: The late Bart Cummings holds the record with seven wins. Lee Freedman won six with Miss Andretti (2007) the most recent.
* Leading Jockey: Damien Oliver holds the record with five wins and is on Missrock this year.
Banner error, could not find casino id "william-hill-sport"
Redzel has stamped himself as Australia’s pin-up sprinter, winning his past six starts. His 2017 spring carnival wins included the inaugural $10 million Everest at Randwick and the Darley Classic at Flemington.
THE DEFENDING CHAMPION:
Terravista won the Lightning a year ago and was arguably unlucky not to win in 2016 when beaten in a photo finish. The eight-year-old gelding flies fresh and loves the Flemington straight. He has also won a Group One Darley Classic and placed in two others, including his second to Redzel last spring.
WHAT THE CONNECTIONS ARE SAYING:
“He has a great first-up record and we’ve put him in blinkers which he wore in a recent jump-out at Flemington and was really good. I think he’s in similar form to when he won the Newmarket” – Redkirk Warrior’s co-trainer Tom Dabernig
“I know we are taking on the big boys and it’s the best of the best sprinters, but I just think it’s definitely the type of race where we can have a throw at the stumps. She’s a horse that runs very fast and this is probably her pet distance” – Super Too’s trainer Marc Conners
“She’s right on target and I know it’s a top field and she’ll want to be at her top, but her top always seems to be first-up” – Missrock’s trainer Robbie Laing
“If he can run a place, myself and the owners would be rapt. In my opinion the horse can pick up a Group One at some stage” – Rock Magic’s trainer Chris Gangemi