Blue Diamond Stakes winner Written By will be aimed at the Coolmore Stud Stakes.
Trainer Grahame Begg is single-minded in his focus for Blue Diamond Stakes-winning colt Written By this spring, with the Group One Coolmore Stud Stakes the goal.
Written By is in the early stages of his build-up to a spring campaign having returned to Begg’s stable last week after two-month spell.
Begg plans to kick off the brilliant colt’s spring in an 1100m-race on September 22 at Caulfield before progressing to the Blue Sapphire Stakes and the Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) for three-year-olds on November 3.
“He’s put on over 40 kilos on during his nine-week break and we’re delighted with the way he’s come back in,” Begg said.
“He looks like physically he’s matured a lot. He’s strengthened up in all the right places.
“His whole spring preparation is tailored around the Coolmore. It’s going to be his number one goal.”
The $13 million Everest in Sydney in October is Australia’s richest race but does not carry Group One status and Begg said his focus was on the Coolmore, not securing a slot, saying it would be more valuable for Written By as a stud prospect.
“There has been (interest regarding the Everest) but we’ve resisted all temptation. We want to run in a proper Group One,” Begg said.
Banner error, could not find casino id "william-hill-sport"
“The Coolmore is more value for the horse’s value, as far as being a stud proposition.
“That’s the goal.”
Begg indicated the Group One weight-for-age Darley Classic (1200m) at Flemington was an option for a fourth run of the spring, a week after the Coolmore.
“If we think he’s going well that’s an option, but probably a good option will be pulling up stumps and getting ready for the Lightning Stakes or something like that,” he said.
Written By won his first four starts highlighted by a dominant win in the Group One Blue Diamond.
He also won the Blue Diamond Prelude and Pago Pago Stakes and ended his juvenile season with a fourth in the Golden Slipper.
Begg said there had been a lot of interest from high profile studs in NSW and Victoria but added connections had decided to wait until after the spring carnival to make any decisions.
“Nothing has been done. We’re reassessing the situation after the spring. And that’s the punt we’re taking,” he said.