Run at Randwick since 2014, 1300m, $500,000, weight-for-age.
* First run in 1929 when won by Amounis
* Elevated to Group One status in 2013
* Run at Canterbury except for at Rosehill in 1973-75, 1980-81, 1997-98, 2004-07.
* Before 2004 run over 1200m. 2008 run over 1550m.
* Holdfast (1930-31-32); Tea Rose (1944); Sky High (1961-62); Baguette (1971); Manikato (1982); Placid Ark (1987); At Sea (1988-89); All Our Mob (1997); Shogun Lodge (2001); Yell (2004); More Joyous (2011-12), Pierro (2013); Appearance (2014); Cosmic Endeavour (2015).
* The unusual distance serves as a lead-in to the George Ryder Stakes (1500m) two weeks later or a drop back in distance to the Galaxy (1100m).
* Chautauqua, the world’s highest ranked sprinter, is stepping up beyond 1200 metres for the first time since he ran third in the All Aged Stakes in April 2015.
WHAT THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
* “I think 1300 really suits him. I don’t think he’s an out-and-out sprinter. Between 1200-1400 is probably his peak distance” – Music Magnate’s trainer Bjorn Baker.
* “The bottom line is the horse is searching for more ground,” Chautauqua’s co-trainer Wayne Hawkes.No tags for this post.