Brad Stewart is free to keep his association with sprinter Zoustyle despite a suspension.
Jockey Brad Stewart’s suspension for his 11th whip offence this year will not impact on his booking for star Brisbane sprinter Zoustyle in Sydney this spring.
Stewart rode Boom County at Ipswich on Friday and was charged with using his whip 14 times before the 100m mark in breach of the rules.
He pleaded guilty and was suspended for seven days starting at midnight on Saturday, after he rides Zoustyle in the Concorde Stakes at Randwick.
Stewards noted Stewart was a repeat offender and it was the 11th time since January he had been penalised.
He has been aboard Zoustyle in the gelding’s unbeaten run of six wins and is considered a key element to the speedster’s success.
Zoustyle is on course to run against some of Australia’s best sprinters in the Group Three Concorde Stakes (1100m) at Randwick.
He had a jump-out last Tuesday and ran the fastest of the morning in winning his heat by six lengths.
Zoustyle won a Doomben trial last month when he ran almost two seconds faster than the next best heat.
Trainer Tony Gollan said Zoustyle would head to Sydney on Wednesday night and be stabled at Randwick.
“He has pleased us this time in but as I keep saying the Concorde will really show us where we stand in the order of things. It looks like being an outstanding race,” Gollan said.
Gollan said Zoustyle’s exact campaign would not be decided until after the Concorde.
If he can win the Concorde, Zoustyle will put himself in line for a slot in the $14 million Everest on October 19.
The trainer said Stewart’s suspension would not affect his booking for Zoustyle.
“But he is having a bad trot with the whip rule and he needs to take stock,” Gollan said.